Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Halloween

For two whole months Eleanor asked almost daily, "Mom, how many more days until Halloween?" Needless to say, she was looking forward to dressing up and trick-or-treating. She/I decided that she'd be the Queen of Hearts and Carolyn could be Alice. She made the decision, but I kept her to it. She would have changed her mind a dozen times if I would have let her.

We also thought Hank would make a great White Rabbit with ears and a big pocket watch around his neck. But as the days until the big event dwindled with zero progress on his costume, I gave up on the thought (and remember it is the thought that counts). It wasn't a big letdown. He is only 7 weeks old, can't hold up his head much less a bag for treats. Plus he slept in his carrier the whole time.

I semi-made Eleanor's costume from a $8 eBay find, a 1/2 yard each red and gold fabric and some red glitter foam hearts. Mister Hank isn't a big fan of not being held so finding the time was difficult and it wasn't until the night before when he was sleeping that I finally finished the project. And not to toot my own horn, but my I rather impressed myself with my non-sewing skills.

The best part of her costume though was her make-up. Just like Tim Burton's Queen in the new Alice in Wonderland movie. A little hair teasing and red hair spray and she was close to unrecognizable.

And little Alice was perfectly portrayed sans make-up or wig by the lovely Carolyn. Just give her a blue Alice dress and black headband and she was set - oh, and don't forget the candy bucket.


The Queen of Hearts

Alice

We did the Trek or Trail on McCoy Creek Trail. It's such a great time. And we easily had plenty of candy but Eleanor really wanted to go to her principal Mr. Nixon's house. After going to Mr. Nixon's she told me "Mr. Nixon tricked me. He said he was going to hand out dog treats but he gave me something else." She's so gullible.

We ended up trick-or-treating the entire time, not making it home in time to hand out our own candy. So we now have their loot plus what I bought at the store. Ugh, I need to start working out again!

Mommy and all the kiddos

On the trail with Daddy

We ran into the girls' favorite boys Jake and Kade. Carolyn was getting scared of all the spooky guys and wouldn't stand far enough away from me for a picture.
Carolyn eventually got Aunt Becky to carry her to the rest of the houses. Thanks Aunt Becky!
She told me she wanted to pet the kitty so I got my camera out but was too slow as she pet the cat and darted.

2 comments:

Jen said...

With a 7 week old, you hand crafted Halloween costumes?!! And, to think I was determined to re-use the ones from last year somehow. I'm such a slacker. :-) Eleanor's costume is unbelievable. They look adorable. We're in the same boat with too much candy. I extracted all m&m's for cookies....looking for other ideas too.

Anonymous said...

Those are some great costumes..way to get crafty! You didn't happen to catch sight of any smoking caterpillars, a grinning cat or a bloodhound along the trail did you? ;-)