Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Favorite Dinners

I cook dinner at least 5 days a week in our house. And after working 8 hours a day during the week, the last thing I want to do is spend an hour in the kitchen. I'm sure many of you can relate, even if you don't work a 40 hour week.

These are two of our favorites. Not only are they easy, which means 1. fast and 2. minimal dishes and 3. most ingredients are already in our pantry/freezer, but they taste great! I believe I have my sis-in-law Charity to thank for both these dishes!

Moroccan Meatballs served over Couscous - 6 servings
(adapted from Beverly Mills' Cheap. Fast. Good.)

Ingredients:
10 ounces plain couscous
1 pound frozen meatballs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 teaspoons bottle minced garlic)
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 fresh jalapeno pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional, I never use)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Cook couscous as directed.

Place frozen meatballs on microwave-safe plate, uncovered, on high-power for 2 minutes to partially thaw.

Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in 4 1/2 quart pot. Peel and coarsely chop onions, adding them to pot as you go. Cook, stirring until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add tomatoes and their juices, garlic and sugar.

Seed and finely chop jalapeno. Add to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally while you rinse and chop the cilantro and parsley (if using). Add them to the pot along with cumin, cinnamon and ginger. Give a stir to mix. Add meatballs and cover, cooking until meatballs are heated through, about 10 minutes.

Serve immediately over couscous.

Mexican Lasagna - 4 servings
(adapted from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals)

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken breast or sirloin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 cup medium heat taco sauce
1 (14 oz) can diced or fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and ground meat to skillet. Season meat with chili powder, cumin and onion. Brown meat, about 5 minutes. Add taco sauce, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Heat mixture through for 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt to your taste.

Coat 9x13 baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cut tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortilla, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Please note that the indicated number of servings is per the recipe. But I think the lasagna serves more than the meatballs. And I can't say how many people, because especially in our house, each person eats a vastly different amount. Just try and see how they work for your family. I'm confident you won't be disappointed!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

This was a great idea Tara! Thanks for sharing...we'll try them out and let you know how they work for us.

IUgirl78 said...

No kidding! Thanks for taking the time to write them out. I'm especially intrigued by the Mexican Lasagna as I have been on a Mexican food kick over the past few months. This will be a nice change from our weekly tacos. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Kristy - yes, we always did taco night until I remembered the mexican lasagna and it's almost as easy and a lot more tasty!

IUgirl78 said...

We will definitely be trying it soon!

Any baby news???

Jen said...

I'm definitely going to try the Moroccan meatballs. That sounds tasty and I never make couscous so something new would be fun. You must be feeling great if you're still cooking five nights a week. My legs already ache and I've got 3 months to go!!!