Saturday, May 3, 2008

Our Delicate Flower


Last night as Matt was taking Eleanor to her room to put on her jammies, I heard her makingg a bunch of noise. I couldn't tell if it was crying or laughing. Then I heard Matt say he thought he hurt her. When I got to her room she was holding her left hand with tears streaming down her face. When Matt carried her into her room he did so by one arm and one leg - believe me, this was nothing unordinary for either one of them. Well, something happened to hurt her wrist.


A while back, the same (or similar) thing happened playing Ring Around the Rosie at daycare. That time I took her to the doctor and she got x-rays and the whole bit. There weren't any broken bones but the doc told me how the ligaments are still loose in little kids, etc.

So last night we wrapped her arm and her and Matt camped out on the couches. She woke a couple times wimpering, but managed to sleep okay (better than Matt). After a staying on the couch watching the Disney channel, I convinced her to let me get her dressed. She wimpered a few times as her arm was moved around. But all of a sudden, she attempted to stand up so I helped her and she walked out to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Ever since, her arm has not bothered her.


I don't think Matt will get over this as quickly. He was really upset that he hurt his little girl. She may be mighty, but she's still just a delicate flower at times.

2 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Oh my goodness! I hope she's okay! I'm sure Matt feels badly about it, but we've all been there where we've been doing something that is fun to the kid and then he/she gets hurt. I bet the extra cuddling and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" was just what she needed to feel better!

APMom said...

As a parent you feel so helpless and like it is your fault. We've been there too. One afternoon when Darren picked up the girls from daycare Allison decided she wasn't ready to leave and jerked back from him (a typical toddler reaction). Darren had hold of her hand and her elbow popped out of socket. I thought we were going to be arrested for child abuse or something, but the doctor assured us that it is very common and called nurse maid's elbow. Within minutes of popping her elbow back in place, she was acting like it never happened. Scared us though!