Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Welcome Baby Hank!!!

Hank McGuffey Young
September 11, 2010
5:07 pm
8 pounds 2 ounces
20 1/4 inches

After being convinced by my doctor appointment checkup on Thursday (not much change from the 3cm of 3 weeks ago) that my body just didn't know how to go into labor, I started having fairly painful contractions Saturday morning.

The shorter story goes like this...

At 10am Matt and Carolyn ran to Lakeville for new work boots as I was getting in the shower. I made sure Matt knew I was feeling contractions and to hurry. With already making one trip to the hospital and being sent home, I was determined that I would not go again unless in extreme pain and certain our baby was coming.

Saturday was the Michigan / Notre Dame game so I started making chili for the people we had invited over. How embarrassing would it be to be perfectly fine at game time but no food because I thought maybe I was going into labor. While cutting tomatoes for the chili, I sat on a stool and took note of my contractions which I first took note of at 11:06 and felt consistently every 4-5 minutes. At 11:40 I called to see where Matt was and told him of the situation. While waiting, I played a little game of Hi Ho Cherry-O with Eleanor.

I finally made the decision that it was go time so we dropped the girls off with Grandma and Grandpa Young and set off for the hospital at noon.

Checked into triage, I started having fears that while the contractions were painful and still about 5 minutes apart, that maybe we'd be sent home again. Nope! The resident checked me at 1:20 and I let out a cheer as I was declared to be a "stretchy seven". Hurray! We checked into our birthing suite and made our phone calls.

Prior to my epidural :)

I took in my fluids and got an epidural and waited for the doctor. She was across town at the other hospital with another patient and instructed the nurse to not check me again. She didn't want my water to break before she got there. So we waited. Matt's mom joined us and we just hung out watching the game.

Finally at 4:30, Dr. Evangelista came in and broke my water. She gave me time to let the baby drop more and at 5 came in and found the baby ready to go. They got ready and I gave my one push and out came baby Hank.

Like most babies, he isn't a fan of being sprawled out naked for his first weigh-in

And Matt got to watch the second half of the game with his boy.

We could already tell he was a laid back little baby. Barely fussing and quite content, he easily took to nursing. And this behavior has continued through these first 2.5 days. His big sisters are enamored. We're very blessed.
The new Young family!
Biggest Sister Eleanor

Going home!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He is too cute. I've just got to say - one push? What a lucky, lucky woman you are. Enjoy every moment with that little guy and his big sisters. (3 days for pictures, not too bad I guess)

Anonymous said...

Hank is quite the hunk! I'm glad everyone is doing well :-) Megan

Unknown said...

That's a great story, but I still don't know what happened to the chili. Congratulations on easy labor and great looking boy. He looks like a wrestler to me.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! We all are doing quite well. Yes, one push - what can I say? And Mike, I threw the chili in the fridge and actually just had some for lunch - it was delicious!

Jen said...

He's such a handsome little guy!! Congratulations! Sounds like the delivery was a piece of cake. :-) Making the chili was a win/win. It probably progressed your labor plus you had food when you got home from the hospital! Can't wait to see more pics. So exciting!

APMom said...

Congrats, T! So happy for your family. Can't wait to meet Hank.

IUgirl78 said...

Congratulations, Matt and Tara! He is SUCH a cutie! And Tara, you look amazing! In fact, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. :) I love the pictures of the girls with Baby Hank, too. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear about how you guys are settling into your life as a party of five!