Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 3: In The Middle of the Atlantic

We awoke on day three to find ourselves in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, approximately 400 nautical miles traveled and just over 250 to go.  Unfortunately this was a day without pictures.  How could that be?  I have not a clue.  Any who, this gives me the opportunity to introduce to you our favorite people on the ship, Captain Hakan Svedung of Sweden and Cruise Director Sinan.

First of all, our captain was from Sweden and his name was basically Sven more or less.  Therefore, Sven became Captain Svedung and would often call our cabin to say "Dis is your captain..."  We had pondered from day one how deep into the water the boat sat.  With all that weight up top, you'd think the ship would have 40-50 feet submerged.  Well on the last day on the cruise we were able to have a Q&A with the ship's executive staff, Svedung included.  Charity could hardly keep still and finally went to the microphone.  The conversation went something like this:

Charity: "Hi Captain, I have to say I am honored to meet you.  My name is Charity and I'm from Kansas City.  I feel we have a great connection in that I'm married to a Swede and I also love to cruise. We are having a wonderful time on your ship.  Thank you.  Just a couple questions.  Ever since we got on in New York we have wondered a couple things.  One, where was this ship built?  And two, how deep into the water does the ship sit?  How much clearance is needed?"

Svedung: "Germany. 28 feet."
Captain Svedung
Ah, a man of so few words.

On the opposite end of the personality spectrum was our goofy and giddy and dorky but fun cruise director Sinan.  Sinan was from Turkey, snorted when he laughed, sang "You are my sunshine" each morning, and made us laugh each time we saw him.  He was a great time!

No comments: